Monday, July 21, 2014

Teacher Goes to Class - Sketch Seattle at Pike Place Market

I'm "stepping up to the plate" today....  I've posted the kids artwork over their objections and nervousness about "sharing" their artwork.  I keep telling them it's part of getting good at what you do...  "It's how you grow..."  (I normally get a big eye roll here.)  Soooooo...  I can expect no less from myself.
 
I had the great opportunity to take a class from Derek Gundy and Ron Stocke of "Sketch Seattle".  We spent the day sketching at the Pike Place Market.  It was insane!!  Not only was it a very busy tourist Saturday in July there was an exhibition soccer game and a Mariner's Game.  Millions, and millions of people...  (I'm exaggerating but not much!)  I expected to casually sketch the flower vendors, the fish throwing guys, the clock, the pig... you know, the usual stuff.  Not even close!  If you live here and really want to see that stuff wait until October on a rainy Wednesday.  Those wise instructors wanted to help us learn to do quick sketches of real people (I think there were enough subjects to choose from); find little pockets to "tuck in and sketch" and, of course, get over some of the" drawing in public phobia".    Well done, Derek and Ron!!!  I'm pretty sure I can draw just about anything, any place, with a minimum of tools.  Here's everything I drew.  Yes, even the ones I thought were really bad and wanted to rip out and throw away.  Sometimes I learn the most from the worst stuff...









 
No flower vendors, no produce... but gosh!  I had to stop at Undercover Quilts!!  Hi, Linda...
 
 
Class was great if you're interested in learning some great stuff and spending an amazing day check out Ron and Derek's website:Sketch Seattle
 


No comments:

Post a Comment